Monday, October 17, 2011

10 Things Students use technology for in my class


The other day, I posted an article entitled "Technology I use on a Daily Basis - updated for this year" which detailed the technology I use myself to get organized, communicate with students and parents, and as lesson resources and tools. Today, I'd like to talk about the technology that my students use in my class.


  1. There are 7 student computers in my classroom that students use throughout the year for various projects and work.
  2. Students use the web for research and for web quests on different topics.
  3. Students use the computers and web to create projects, using PowerPoint, Google Docs, Glogster, Prezi, Blogger, Google Sites and other online services instead of paper and pencil. I want them to be able to create things in class, instead of just doing lectures and homework problems. 
  4. Students use the class blog and class websites to access information, check the class schedule, retrieve class notes and references, and to communicate with me and other students. 
  5. Students access www.physicsclassroom.com for help and "tutoring" on physics concepts. 
  6. Students access http://phet.colorado.edu/ (PhET) to access physics simulations and do virtual labs and explorations of topics. 
  7. Even though it is against school and district policy, I've let students use their smart phones as learning tools - look up things on the web or use them as calculators. Already own the smartphone, so why spend more money on a graphing calculator that costs $150 when they can get a $1.99 app?
  8. I also have some Vernier sensors that we use in class and a I just received a Netbook that we will be using the Vernier sensors with on projects outside of the classroom soon. 
  9. Students use email to communicate directly with me when they have questions or issues. 
  10. Students use Google Calendar, Evernote, Trackclass, Dweeber and more to stay organized, communicate and succeed. 
Students use technology in my class to do things differently, do different things, to communicate, create, organize, get help, explore, learn and to expand the learning experience outside of the classroom. 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...